Con Cuong, Vietnam: A Hidden Gem in Nghe An Near Pu Mat National Park

Hello, I’m Kohei — a Japanese JICA Volunteer Working in Tourism Development in Vietnam!

This time, I’d like to introduce the wonderful place where I work.

Right now, I am working in Con Cuông, a district in Nghệ An Province, Vietnam.

Most foreigners have probably never heard of Con Cuông. To be honest, many Vietnamese people do not know much about it either, so that is understandable.


But after spending a year here, I have been deeply impressed by this place — by the warmth and sincerity of the people, which remind me of an older, more human way of life; by the elegance of nature, including untouched primary forest; and by the traditional culture that has been passed down here for generations.

I’d like to share what I have learned.


Contents

  • What is there in Con Cuông?
  • The nature of Con Cuông: Pù Mát National Park and Khe Kèm Waterfall
  • The charm of Con Cuông: Thái ethnic culture and homestays
  • Con Cuông: a sleeping beauty
  • Added later: Nghệ An Province as “a microcosm of Vietnam”

What is there in Con Cuông?


Con Cuông is one of the districts in Nghệ An Province, located in central Vietnam. It is a green and scenic area where about 70% of the population belongs to the Thái ethnic group, and traditional culture is still strongly preserved. 

Con Cuông also borders Laos. It takes about 3.5 hours from Hanoi by plane and car, or about 6 hours by car. In other words, it is definitely off the beaten path.

It is not a famous tourist destination like Hạ Long Bay or Sa Pa. However, I think Con Cuông is quite unique because it brings together ethnic minority life, primary forest, rivers, and waterfalls all in one area.

The nature of Con Cuông: Pù Mát National Park and Khe Kèm Waterfall


Con Cuông is home to Pù Mát National Park (Vườn quốc gia Pù Mát), one of the largest national parks in Vietnam. It is also home to 70 endangered species listed on the Red List. Inside the park, Khe Kem Waterfall (Thác Khe Kèm) is one of Con Cuông’s best-known attractions with a drop of 150 meters. Khe Kèm Waterfall attracts many visitors in summer.

I was also told that the saola, a rare large mammal sometimes called the “Asian unicorn,” was first discovered in the world in Pù Mát National Park. The park still contains untouched primary forest, with areas that remain largely undisturbed by human activity.

Herds of Asian elephants also live in the national park. This is a photo of a wild Asian elephant taken by a park ranger in 2018.

The Giang River (Sông Giăng), which runs through Pù Mát National Park, is also a tourist attraction, and visitors can enjoy boat tours there.


The charm of Con Cuông: Thái culture and homestays


As mentioned earlier, around 70% of the population in Con Cuông belongs to the Thái ethnic group. There are several Thái villages in the district, and tourism based on homestays and cultural exchange is quite active there, allowing visitors to experience local culture and cuisine.

I heard that last year, the three villages of Khe Rạn (bản Khe Rạn), Nửa (bản Nửa), and Xiềng (bản Xiềng) welcomed a total of around 30,000 visitors.

However, almost all of those visitors were Vietnamese.

That is what makes Con Cuông such a hidden gem for foreign travelers: it remains almost completely unknown to the outside world.

Traditional food of the Thái people

Thái ethnic cuisine


In Thái villages, visitors can enjoy beautifully prepared traditional food and colorful dance performances. It truly feels like a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Experience of Ruou Can

Traditional weaving culture, which has faded away in Vietnam’s urban centers, still survives here.


Con Cuông: a sleeping beauty


The people of Con Cuông are proud of their homeland. At the same time, it is true that many of them are frustrated by how little known the area still is. People here sometimes describe Con Cuông as a “sleeping beauty.” It is a place full of wonderful treasures that have not yet been fully discovered or appreciated.

As someone who has already fallen in love with Con Cuông, I hope to keep sharing the richness of its culture and nature with others.

If, during my two years here, I can discover more of Con Cuông’s charm and help more people learn about it, I could not ask for anything better.

So please, come visit Con Cuông someday. I will welcome you with all my heart — really.


See you next time!




Comments